Re: [OM] My first experience with the OM-1

Subject: Re: [OM] My first experience with the OM-1
From: "Scott Nelson" <SNelson@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 09:38:39 -0400
I'd say a set of 3221 legs and  head of your preference (!), or if you really
want heavy (and expensive) a Gitzo Studex should indent your collarbone nicely.
There are other considerations in buying a tripod, however. How tall are you?
Do you want to do work close to the ground?

+=======================+
I wanna go on
Like a blister in the sun
I wanna go on
Big Hands I know you're the one

>>> music4free@xxxxxxxx 14:43:46 05/19/2001 >>>

I took 4 rolls of film so far (2 12's, 2 24's). Wow! is all I have to say,
the pictures taken with the Zuiko 50 1.8 are SHARP...the pictures taken
with this cheap off-brand thing that I decided to get for kicks were
horrible. I'm glad I bought it though (it was only the price of a pizza,
second hand), because now I know that certain lenses really truly do
"suck." For the quality I got, it should have been made out of Fisher Price
plastic.

The metering is very similar to the metering on Olympus' digital SLRs. This
provides a smooth transition.

I've noticed a bit of camera shake with the OM-1, but not too much, with a
steady hand, you don't need a tripod with speeds of 1/30. With my digital,
I usually lean up against something, tilt the camera and hold it with two
hands to keep it really steady, then take the picture. This is somewhat
harder with the OM-1. I have a couple tiny tripods, which are pretty
useless, so I'm going to have to invest in a good solid tripod.

I want something really heavy. I've used Manfrotto tripods before, and
would like something a bit heavier. I have no problem lugging heavy
equipment up a mountain, or across a river; I'm still young. Any
suggestions on a heavy tripod? (that doesn't cost its weight in gold either)

Thanks,

Chris