Re: [OM] Alaska cruise kit & a little OT stuff

Subject: Re: [OM] Alaska cruise kit & a little OT stuff
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 17:15:42 EDT
In a message dated 5/21/01 5:23:37 AM Pacific Daylight Time, NSURIT@xxxxxxx
writes:

> Will be going on Alaskan cruise the end of July, with a few days in Seattle
>  prior to departure.  Only things absolutely in concrete at this time are a
>  ferry/boat ride to Victoria to see the gardens and a visit to the Hay
Street

>  market in Seattle.  Would be interested in hearing from anyone experienced
>  with the area or Alaskan cruises of "not to miss" photographic
opportunities.

>   Will be stopping at Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway.  Will be also going
into

>  Glacier Bay.
>snip<

I think you mean the Pike Place Market, Bill?  Interesting, crowded place
during tourist season.  The fish vendors are very entertaining and always
draw a crowd.  Very entertaining.  My favorite spot is a little hole in the
wall called The Crumpet Shop, just outside the Market on 1st Ave.
Fresh-baked crumpets, scones, tea, every morning.  MMMMmmm!!  Be sure to walk
out the N. end of the market to the park, where you will get a great view of
the waterfront, Puget Sound, and the Olympic Mountains to the west.

Walk over to 4th Ave. and Pine (one block n. of the Market entrance) to
Westlake Mall.  Look and listen for a bagpiper (Tim McCarthy) who, if he's
there, is pretty darned good.  From inside the building just behind and to
the N. of Starbucks Coffee you can get on the Monorail and run out to the
City Center at 50 mph (about a minute and a half ride), where the Space
Needle, and the new, and somewhat controversial Jimmy Hendrix Music
Experience Project are.

I take it you're taking the Seattle-to-Victoria ferry, not the WA state ferry
through the San Juan Islands to Sidney, B.C.?

Butchardt Gardens just out of Sidney, B.C. is a not-to-be-missed place.  I
hated anything to do with flowers growing up, as my folks had a greenhouse.
But the last time I took my mother there it was almost a spiritual
experience.  You will have opportunities for close-up work, as well as
moderate telephoto.  Downtown Sidney has a good bakery, if, like me, you
can't pass a bakery without going in.

If you have time, have tea at the Empress Hotel in Victoria (necktie and
jacket, please).  Near Parliament Bldgs. and the harbor.  A very photogenic
city, with one foot in the last century.  If you are taking the
Seattle-Victoria ferry, be ready to snap away as you approach the harbor.

Going up the Inside Passage?  It's GORGEOUS!  I made the trip on the Coast
Guard Cutter Mellon (now stationed in Seattle) as quartermaster, so was
navigating/watchstanding part of the time, and couldn't just rubberneck as
much as I wanted to.  You will pass whales, fish boats, small villages, and
miles and miles of totally unspoiled nature, and be simply awestruck at the
scenery in general.  Very narrow in spots, with mountains rising right up out
of the water, ala Norwegian fjords.

The water should be flat calm most all of the way in the protected parts
(which is most all of it).  Should be fairly easy to handhold up to 200mm,
even with the 2X, I would think.  I JUST got my 300/4.5, so can't really give
much advice above 200mm.  In Glacier Bay, the ship will be moving very
slowly, and probably stop and drift a little, so you MIGHT be able to go to a
longer lens on a tripod, but I would guess vibrations from the deck might
give you trouble (a good argument for those sorbothane vibration absorbing
pads, eh?).

Keep in mind that aside from the ocassional wildlife shot, the scale of the
scenery is just huge, so tele work will be cutting a lot out of any scene.  I
guess it all depends on what kind of composition you favor.  Personally
speaking, I would be talking to myself (both before and during the trip),
reminding myself to drink in the experience, and not to get too caught up in
camera gear fussing.

Juneau is pretty.  Glacier Bay (which is a natural wonder all its own) aside,
Juneau is set in a magical spot.  Don't miss the Red Dog Saloon, with sawdust
on the floor!  It's a step back in time.  Walk up the main drag (or down,
depending on where they drop you -- the Red Dog is down -- of course).

Too bad you're missing Sitka, my favorite spot in S.E. AK.  Beautiful little
town, set in paradise, if you like the "North".  But Ketchikan and Juneau
will somewhat make up for it, and give you a feel for SE AK.

In July, it gets light real early, and stays light real late, the further
north you go.  I wouldn't worry too much about "low light" unless you plan to
"get up with the chickens" (which isn't a bad idea -- you might be able to
talk about Orcas, which are really a species of dolphin -- BIG dolphins -- or
whales, or a bald eagle catching a fish, over breakfast).

Watch for Aurora Borealis in the evenings -- we're having a VERY active year,
solar-activity wise (my uncle who is a ham operator is cussing it).  I have
NO idea what to advise on gear, speeds, for that.

Wish I could be more help on the gear end of your inquiry.  Pick your kit and
then don't beat yourself up during the trip by wishing you hadn't left
something behind.  Enjoy the experience.  You wouldn't want to take along a
camera gear porter, would you, huh?  Then you could take it ALL!

Rich