Re: [OM] Camera Back likes to open on its own!

Subject: Re: [OM] Camera Back likes to open on its own!
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 23:59:19 -0500
Which camera?  The early OM-1's were particularly prone to this, but
given the right circumstances it can happen to any camera.

First check the "hook" on the back cover -- the early models (OM-1's)
were riveted, and they sometimes get loose.  I haven't found a sure-fire
method to tighten these -- maybe someone else has.  Later models, the
"hook" is spot-welded -- if it snaps off, the only solution is a new
back.

Watch the back latch closely as you slowly squeeze the back cover closed
-- the "hook" on the back should push the back latch up as it closes.
If the "hook" slides _over_ the back latch, it needs to be _gently_ and
_carefully_ bent _in_, toward the pressure plate (if it's not loose --
see above).  It doesn't take much bending, though!  Grip the lower half
of the hook with needlenose pliars and bend a little at a time, until it
reliably pushes the back latch up as you close the back cover.