Re: [OM] The 35-80mm/2.8 Zuiko

Subject: Re: [OM] The 35-80mm/2.8 Zuiko
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 11:59:33 -0500
From: Rich Lahrson <tripspud@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
     I've got an OM-1n with the standard 1.8.  FWIW, I've been able to
hold in the aperture stop down button on the lens with a piece of tape.

    Do you think this is an effective method?

I tried this to see if I could get the OM-1 & 200/f4 to settle down a little. With a laser pointer reflected off the front element of the lens, there is still a noticable kick, suggesting the mechanical shutter/stopdown mechanism, rather than the lens, is the source of vibration.

 Or is there still some
differences in the shutter curtains operation between the OM-1s and
the current OM-4ti?  And is this homebrew tape method less effective,
perhaps due to some other internal movements that the prefire
on the OM-4 is able to accomplish?

The more modern shutter would seem clearly to be superior, based on tests I've done with a laser pointer, not to mention Gary's lens tests themselves.

     Also, what is a Bogen Telephoto Lens Support?

The name says it all.

    I don't have to tell all you Zuikaholics, there's one on eBay now.
The specsheet says this lens focuses to 0.6 meters, very useful.
Do some real world users of this lens care to share?

It is an wonderful lens. It is heavy but nicely balanced and works well both as a tripod lens and handheld. I was skeptical about ever using it handheld, but I am surprised how much I actually do. The 67mm filter size is a bummer. Oh well.

Joel W.