Re: [OM] how to determine light loss from diffuser

Subject: Re: [OM] how to determine light loss from diffuser
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 17:15:31 EDT
Winsor,

One of the definitions of diffuse (verb) is 'scatter'. The scattering of the
light is not the culprit. What Acer and I were referring to in our discussion
of 'light loss' was that the material used is opaque, whether it's a plastic
milk jug, or alcohol bottle, or whatever, and not completely transparent. It
will not allow the same amount of light thru as if the light tube were not
covered by the plastic. The light output of the flash is, in effect, reduced.
Pros use big umbrellas up close because the light IS diffused by the
umbrella, which allows you to get the light closer.

I wonder if Acer could aim his camera at a large, bright light source and
take a camera meter reading, then still pointing at that light source, slip
the plastic over the lens and see if there's an accompanying dip in the meter
reading?

George S.