Re: [OM][OT] Shooting monitors

Subject: Re: [OM][OT] Shooting monitors
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 16:19:58 +0000
At 19:17 5/23/01, Clyde Soles wrote:
At 18:31 5/23/01, James Kiker wrote:
I have an assignment at work tomorrow to photograph a man at work in
front of two computer monitors (under fluorescent lighting).

You must shoot 1/60 or slower. Forget Provia, it'll be a color balancing nightmare (green overhead and blue from the screens). Go with print film and life will be easier. If you have to shoot chrome, then you'll need an FL filter (or replace bulbs with daylights). Normally shots like that are done with studio lighting and multiple exposures.

Good luck

I will second Clyde's suggestion to go with a negative film due to color balancing and the multiple sources. However, I suggest a shutter speed of 1/8th or 1/30th. This will help eliminate some "banding" that can occur even if you get a full scan of the screen at 1/60th. Not only is the scan rate involved, but the "persistence" time of the glowing phosphor following the scan.

-- John