[OM] 50/3.5 not good for weddings?

Subject: [OM] 50/3.5 not good for weddings?
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 08:45:15 -0700 (PDT)
A couple weeks ago, I loaned my camera equipment to a
friend to use in photographing a wedding.  He had
previously purchased my OM-1, but needed some of my
flash equipment and lenses.

I saw the proofs last night and was absolutely amazed
at the performance of the 50/3.5 (and of course, my
beloved 100/2.8).  I had traded for this macro lens
with Joel earlier this year but haven't really had a
chance to push it myself.

I must say that this lens actually exceded the
"acceptable sharpness" quotent and bordered on edgy!
I'm not used to a lens being this contrasty and sharp
and it seemed to bring out every skin flaw, hair and
wrinkle in the bride.  Part of the edginess is caused
by the AGFA portrait film he used, and some was caused
by the flash lighting.  But for human skin, I found
the 50/3.5 to be almost uncomfortably sharp. The
"Rings" shot made the hands look like alligator skin.
In the final prints, the printer will need to do a
little diffusion to soften the skin a bit.  Based on
what I've seen, I would never use anything but Portra
160/400NC with this lens for weddings and portraits.
Might also make a new diffusion filter too.

I can't wait to get home tonight and see the results
of my vacation.  I extensively used the 50/3.5 with
Velvia.

Thanks, Joel. This lens just continues to amaze me. I
don't know if this is typical of the 50/3.5, but I am
absolutely floored by its performance.  At F8, this
lens seems to resolve so sharply that film grain shows
up.

Ken N.