Re: [OM] Macro Questions

Subject: Re: [OM] Macro Questions
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 12:31:18 +0000
I believe there are some definitions needed to make distinctions between effects and some myths to be exposed:

1. "Magnification" and "perspective" are two _different_ things. I believe this distinction was made in my original posting.

Magnification:
Typically considered and calculated at the "subject distance," a very specific and exact distance, not in the entire image depth. Often it's the critical focus distance, but not necessarily if that is moved to envelop a subject with depth by the DOF.

Perspective:
How quickly (or slowly) horizontal lines not parallel to the film plane converge to a "vanishing point." Shorter lenses will converge these lines more quickly giving a greater sense of depth, and will take in a larger area of distant background. Longer lenses will converge these lines more slowly giving a lesser sense of depth, and will take in a smaller area of distant background.

2.  Myth:  Increasing focal length increases blur of background.
This is much too general a statement. Yes you can get a "more out of focus" background (as perceived by the image viewer), but _only_ if the background is sufficiently distant from the rear of the DOF. If posting images were not considered poor form on a mail list, I would attach some graphs of what happens to the "Circle of Confusion" as distance increases behind the critical focus points having the same magnification for different focal lengths. If the background is very close to the rear of the DOF, changing focal length won't make much difference. If the background is relatively far from the rear of the DOF it can make a difference. The farther it's behind the rear of the DOF, the more difference it makes.

-- John