Re: [OM] XA2 help needed!

Subject: Re: [OM] XA2 help needed!
From: "Keith Berry" <k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 08:50:25 +0100
Kurt Weiske wrote:

> I bought an Olympus XA2, and am looking for advice on whether or not to
keep
> it. ...
>
> 2. The cover doesn't want to stay in place - is the cover supposed to
click
> in place when it's opened? I'm a little worried about the cover sliding in
> front of the lens when shooting.

It should click open and stay open.

> 3. I haven't put batteries in it yet, and am doing a quick physical check
of
> the camera. The film advance knob doesn't want to move. Does the film
> advance need batteries, or is it jammed? The film take-up spool seems to
> rotate freely.

The film advance doesn't need batteries but the shutter does. It may be
already wound on but without batteries it won't release.

> 4. The shutter release button appears pushed-in. Pictures I've seen of an
XA
> make it appear that the shutter release should be flush with the rim
> surrounding it. Also, with mine, when pushing the shutter release, there's
> no click, no apparent travel at all. Is this battery-dependent?

Again, without batteries it won't release. You couldn't tell by looking
because the movement of the red button is tiny.

> I'm hoping I can get this thing working - I love the shape and size of it;
> was looking at Minox 35s, Kiev 35as, the Lomo LC-A, and similar cameras,
but
> I've always wanted an XA. I'm looking for a camera I can keep with me,
load
> with fast film, and take low-light/long exposure night shots and
> random/spontaneous pix with. I'm wondering if I might be better off
waiting
> for an XA - I think being able to set the aperture and see the shutter
speed
> in the display might be a nice feature.

The XA is much more versatile and has a slightly better lens. Beware the
Kiev 35a - the current ones are reported to have translucent shutter blades
in addition to their 'normal' light leaks! The ultimate camera of this type
has to be the Ricoh GR1(s) as long as you can live with a 28mm lens. They're
not easy to find secondhand though.

Regards,

- Keith Berry