[OM] Vivitar 55/2.8 Macro 1:1 Lens

Subject: [OM] Vivitar 55/2.8 Macro 1:1 Lens
From: Rich Lahrson <tripspud@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 05:45:37 -0700
Hi folks,

     I see this lens on eBay often.  Any hands-on comments would be welcome.
Is this
the only macro that focuses continuously from infinity to 1:1?  Long ago, I had
an Alpa 6b with a 50/1.8 Macro-Switar that focused to 1:2.  Most macros,
like the Olympus 50/3.5 and the 50/2 only due 1:2 without the worst
photographic invention, in terms of real world conveniency, the extension tube.

     More recently I've used a Nikon F before switching to Olympus.  I had the
Nikkor 55/3.5.  Naturally, I'm looking at the Zuiko 50/3.5.  But I
remember how pleasing the fast Alpa lens through the background out
of focus close-up.  The Zuiko 50/2 is probably a better performer on
the bench.  You can find an Alpa
adapter that allows Nikkor lenses to used with automatic diaphram.
The Alpa 6b had the 45 degree angle finder.  I liked the 45 angle
finder, which worked  great with the film winder lever that moved in the
same direction as the old Leica screwmount cameras.

    But back to the Vivitar 55/2.8.  Is this a modern lens design with
floating elements?  Multicoated?

                                                                    Cheers,

                                                                        Rich
Lahrson