RE: [OM] XA2 help needed!

Subject: RE: [OM] XA2 help needed!
From: "Kurt Weiske" <kweiske@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 12:09:43 -0700
Thanks to everyone for getting back to me.

I took the lens cover off to see what I could see under the case, and the
ball-bearing that the cover slides on fell out. Looking at the inside of the
cover, the groove where the ball-bearing floats looks pretty well-used, and
I think the ball-bearing fell out of place, causing the cover to not click.
I put the ball-bearing back in the track, and it pops out every time I open
the cover.

I've cobbled it together using a small strip of heavy strapping tape inside
the groove where the ball-bearing should go, and the case stays open/closed
by friction. No satisfying click when it goes into place, but it stays out
of the way, so I can live with it.

I put in 2 SR44 batteries, and the shutter fires. The A11 flash works, and
the lens is clean. There's a slight ding in the viewfinder glass closest to
your eye. It's so close to your eye that you can't even register it when
looking through the glass. It looks like someone nicked the glass when
prying the lens cover off.

The felt looks decent, and the action is smooth. The shutter speed varies as
it should, I get a long exposure in a shady room, a quick clik! when
shooting outdoors. I've got a roll of ASA 400 film in it, and am in the
process of shooting a test roll. Not bad for $36 on Ebay w/flash...

I've gotten into photography recently, and I'm having fun buying the toys I
wanted when I was a kid. I *always* thought the XA series were killer when I
was a kid, but I couldn't afford one. Now I got one...

--k