Re: [OM] OM2 with sticky seals

Subject: Re: [OM] OM2 with sticky seals
From: "Craig Roberts" <croberts@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 16:46:50 -0400
Mike asked: "Would anyone care to hazard a fair price to offer?"

For reference, I just bought an OM2 body in EXC++ condition, (no dings,
dents or brassing, but a few very minor scratches) with good foam (obviously
replaced) for $129.00.  The seller was a national camera chain store.  It's
with John H. right now for an "insurance" CLA...though it probably doesn't
really need one.

I've done two foam replacements myself.  Buy John's kit and follow his
instructions precisely and it's no big deal at all.  There is one caveat,
however.  The back and mirror foam replacement won't address the potentially
serious problem that older OMs are prone to: rotting foam on top of the
prism.  It eats the silver!  John routinely cleans up this area when he
services an older camera.  My first OM (an OM2n) had this defect which
manifested itself in the viewfinder as a small brown spot in one corner.
Unchecked, the decaying foam could have eventually ruined the prism.

Craig
Boston