Re: [OM] [OT] Diphthong (was: Dipthong)

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Diphthong (was: Dipthong)
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 14:03:53 -0500
Frank et al.,
Yikes, this is what I get for teasing and making silly jokes! I'll buy the first round the next time the linguistic wing of the <content>OM list </content> gets together.

English usage in this case seems to span both technical and extended meanings. As a technical term it applies to vowel combinations, but then by extension (in English usage at least) to consonantal unions. I checked the OED to make sure, and you're right that it applies mainly to vowel combinations, but in English not exclusively.

Joel W.

From: Frank van Lindert <lindertv@xxxxxxx>

Joel,

You are right about the spelling but... I was taught that diphthongs
were a kind of vowels (as opposed to monophthongs), rather than
consonants... Did I learn wrong?
See also
http://www.britannica.com/search?query=diphthong

Frank van Lindert