Re: [OM] [OT] Where to use my Oly's near Detroit/Toledo

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Where to use my Oly's near Detroit/Toledo
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 09:18:18 -0700
Hi Mike:

<< My wife would like to go to Canada,  is there anything to see in the
Windsor area? >>

Across from Algonac, MI is a indian reservation on the Canadian side.
Pretty fantastic natural ecosystems of an area that is still in savanna
due to prescribed fires.  I never got to shoot it much since I was on a
fast moving Nature Conservany employee tour.  Alas, nothing I recall for
the kids, although I didn't have mine with me, so I wouldn't have been
on the lookout.  But the US side stands in stark contrast as a
recreation home mecca on the north side of Lake St Clair.  All manner of
tourist attractions.  While traveling through look for (excuse any
religious implications - I'm presenting them as folk art) "bathtub
Madonnas."  A three year old will get a kick out of counting them as you
drive, since they sprout up out of the ground in all the areas of
Michigan where there are vacation homes.  Just look at the yards around
these homes for a discarded and partially buried bathtub, usually
painted brightly, with a plaster statue of the Virgin Mary within it.
Keeps a kid busy for hours!

The delta here is the largest fresh water delta in the world and a great
example of wetlands development gone literally aMUCK.  Small tracts in
the delta were given away as carnival prizes and too many actually got
developed - in low water years, only to be flooded when Great Lakes
water levels were high.  I seem to recall there is a ferry, so that
would be special for a kid.

If you cross over in Detroit, try and get a shot of US Customs agents
when they are looking at a potty.  Seems that Windsor is a supplier of
large capacity toilets and Americans bring many over to replace the low
capacity ones mandated by law.  That is the kind of thing a 3 year old
might not  forget and could certainly get a laugh out of.  Seriously.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV