Re: Fungus Was: [OM] Burnt by CAMETA camera shop

Subject: Re: Fungus Was: [OM] Burnt by CAMETA camera shop
From: "Dr. Oben Candemir" <dunya.nospam@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 18:00:22 +1000
I may as well ask these questions perhaps for the benefit of everyone:

In my questions I'm assuming the ordinary amount of fungus... which is typically spiderwebby and affects one or two lens elements.

1. How significant a problem is fungus? ie. wil it affect any and all lenses with time?

2. How much does it really affect picture quality?

3. When cleaned how commonly does it reoccur? Sometimes, always, never, depends on how you treat them?

4. Apart from the link on Siddiq's page on fungus.. is there any other links or references to the fungus problem?

I'd personally like to know so anyone can feel free to email me off list if they wish to or share the answer here.

>>Seems to ba a
>>lot of fungus around these days - wonder if it's the greenhouse effect ?
>
>I pulled my OM stuff out of the closet a couple of weeks ago and dusted it off. It had been stored away in a dry closet for several years and when I was cleaning the 50mm, f1.8 I noticed a couple of black specks on the rear of the front element. The largest is about the size of a couple of grains of pepper and the other is considerably smaller. Might this be the infamous fungus that I'm reading so much about?

I'm not so sure -- fungus usually appears more greyish or white, and often shows up as "blooms" or "spiderwebs"; sometimes, from a distance, your optics can just look hazy, like a softening filter is being used. There's almost never a definite "edge" to the fungal bloom or web, either.