Re: [OM] Voigtlander and their Lenses (Now OT)

Subject: Re: [OM] Voigtlander and their Lenses (Now OT)
From: "Keith Berry" <k.berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 01:36:05 +0100
Andrew Fildes wrote:
I started looking at
> the Fed/Zorki/Kiev offerings on ebay and haven't had so much fun in yonks!
> They're not only selling gorgeous looking Leica fakes, they're even faking
> special edition Russian cameras like Yuri Gagarin commemoratives and
> 'original' NKVD Feds. Huge. I'm really tempted to buy one of the
> Leica/Elmar fakes from one of the more reputable dealers, if only to
> frighten the horses. Luftwaffe black with gold plating and snakeskin for
> around $115 - good grief! Who needs a meter? Anyone been there? There are
> couple of Ukraine dealers with a very good ebay record - are they kosher?

I've only just got round to reading this block of messages. After 6 months
on the Russian Camera List and the Kiev Report, I get the distinct
impression that the fake Leicas are strictly for show - most don't even have
take up spools. The "gold" finish is skimmed off brass surface to remove the
original FED or Zorki engravings and apparently tarnishes very quickly. The
black ones look better to me, including the ones with cut-away sections
outlined in red. Very pricey for an ornament though.

My Russian bodies with Leica thread mounts are a Zorki 1c (a chrome copy of
a Leica II but with improved viewfinder - handles and works beautifully), a
Zorki 4K (big and noisy, but I bought it only for its Jupiter lens) and a
FED 2d (has such an ugly shaped top plate that I only bought it from so many
recommendations. The only one of the three with neck strap lugs).

My favourite Russian cameras are the Kiev 3s and 4s (Contax III versions)
though, of which I now have seven. I intended to pick the best two or three
and sell the rest, but I just haven't been able to part with even one yet.
Now that Cosina/Voigtlander are producing three of their lenses in Contax
bayonet mount it may make Kievs more desirable.

Russian/Ukrainian eBay sellers with whom I have had good experiences are
fotomaster, photoua, holms, order300@xxxxxxx and priluk, but with some of
them, cameras are just a commodity, of which they seem to know very little.
For a very knowledgeable seller, though much more expensive, look at fedka
in New York.

Regards,
- Keith Berry