Re: (OffList)[OM] solar - off topic

Subject: Re: (OffList)[OM] solar - off topic
From: Dirk Wright <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 07:38:39 +0000
Cc: image66@xxxxxxxxx
HI100@xxxxxxx wrote:

>  wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
> << After many roof repairs, she
>  took out the solar heating. If you go ahead, be sure to get a really
>  good contractor who is well experienced with this stuff.  You may
>  also want to look into point source, no tank hot water heaters.  You
>  may end saving as much or more with those over the long haul.
> >>

> Our friends here in N.CA have had good luck with solar water heating and have
> had the system operational for 20years or more with no roof problems. Before
> the energy crunch it roughly cut their energy costs in half. We have an in
> floor circulating water heating system, so I have often thought it would be
> easy to fit into our house for space heating.  I think the PV stuff  rquires
> a bigger outlay of capitol so the payback time is rather longer.

If you *really* want cheap hot water, at least in the summer, and you
have a decent amount of land available, get a geothermal heat pump with
a desuperheater. Installed cost is about 10 grand ($US), but the payback
is in about 5 years. I'm planning on getting one in my new house.

--
A happy makefile for you too.

Dirk Wright