RE: [OM] Re: Rechargeable batterys

Subject: RE: [OM] Re: Rechargeable batterys
From: Chip Stratton <cstrat@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 23:22:27 -0500
I've purchased batteries and chargers from Thomas Distributing too, and have
been generally satisfied, though they aren't perfect.

I ordered 9 solder tab cells from them  that were advertised to be 1400 mAh
cells.

When I tested them, I found that 5 of them could deliver almost exactly 1000
mAh, while 4 of them gave the rated 1400 mAh. Closer inspection revealed
that their jackets also had a very subtle color difference that
differentiated the two groups. Bad enough to not get what you pay for, but
if I had made battery packs that mixed the two different capacity cells, the
packs would have had no more capacity than the weakest cell, and also died
early deaths due to reverse charging of the weaker cells as the packs were
drained. Not too cool.

Gotta be careful out there!

Chip Stratton
cstrat@xxxxxxxxx