Re: [OM] Recent experience in Sydney

Subject: Re: [OM] Recent experience in Sydney
From: "Dr. Oben Candemir" <dunya.nospam@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 18:05:27 +1000
Ray Moth wrote:
I used the 50/3.5 macro quite a bit...
...appears to be many tiny bubbles or droplets on the inside of the front
element. I don't know why I've never noticed this before. I don't think
it's fungus. Maybe it's oil that has somehow migrated from the
diaphragm blades to the front element?

I think the problem with the 50/3.5 is that it when focussed near the rear element has a large potential space that dust and other stuff seems to be able to get into quite easily. In a search for a decent 50/3.5 in Melbourne I looked at 4 examples and not a single one had clear glass. Two had very severe fungus. I think that large space makes it prone to getting debris inside it. I've abandoned my search for a second hand one for that reason. The other reason is because of....

I particularly enjoyed using the 100/2.8 although, being SC, it's not
However, this lens has a perspective that seems to suit
Sydney, especially shots taken from the ferry.

I have been in Sydney for the last 4 weeks and it was after I got my 90mm f2 last week that I realised what a truly fantastic lens it is for photographing Sydney as you say. Things just seem to be framed automatically with very pleasing perspective. It has the most unbelievable contrast (leica like comes to mind) and I used it more than a few times for portraits of my beautiful girlfriend. I had looked for one for some time second hand but was unsuccessful. Last Thursday I came went into a dealer who had a second hand 50/3.5 that again turned out to have blemishes. After rejecting it, he said that he had a 90mm f2 macro that had never been collected by someone who had ordered it. It had been sitting there for several years new in the box. I offerred him the equivalent of $850 US, he accepted and I now own this wonderful lens. Not the cheapest price I admit but it is brand spanking new. The first lens I have ever bought new so it will always be special to me. Still have to try out its macro capability but the 90mm perspective seems to indicate flatter field which should be ideal for this.

Cheers
Oben