Re: [OM] om-4 or om-2s FS

Subject: Re: [OM] om-4 or om-2s FS
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 20:45:47 -0700 (PDT)
Marcus wrote:
It appears that my OM-4 has found a new home. Any tips or insights to
the use, care, and feeding of the OM-2S would be much appreciated. I am
also curious as to why it is so maligned or beloved.

I'm sure you'll love the 2S and will forgive its quirks. Bill Stanke
has already given you an excellent reply on this. A few more reasons
why some people have maligned the 2S are:

* It uses up the batteries even when it's not in use. You can set the
shutter speed to red (mechanical) 1/60 or B, to prevent the meter
display being activated if the shutter release is pressed, but this
won't stop the quiescent battery current. Batteries fail without any
warning and it has caused "disaster" to people who didn't anticipate
it. Sure, nobody should be without spare batteries but it happens all
the same. If you're not using the camera for a while, remove the
batteries, slip a piece of paper between them or reverse one of them,
to ensure no current will be drawn. In fairness, earlier OM-4s also had
the same battery-drain problem but later ones were fixed.

* The film advance and shutter speed ring are both stiffer than on the
2n. In my particular case, the shutter speed ring is very 'notchy' and
probably needs attention to make it smoother.

* Some people dislike the clatter of the 2S mirror as it returns to the
down position. Others find it sexy - it's a matter of personal taste.

More reasons to love the 2S are:

* It uses a single silicon blue cell in the mirror box floor for all
light measurements. There is no separate CdS cell in the viewfinder for
the displayed meter reading, like the earlier OMs have. This makes
meter readings in the 2S repond more rapidly to changes in light and it
also overcomes the problem of inaccurate readings through stray light
entering the viewfinder.

* In addition to its fixed flash shoe, the 2S has a separate socket for
connection of a TTL flash cord.

* Its metering seems to be very accurate - more accurate than the 2n,
in my experience, and less likely to under-expose. This is provided
that you feed it silver oxide cells, which maintain a fairly steady
voltage over their lifetime; alkalines will cause metering to be off by
2 or more stops as their voltage declines with usage.

The best precaution you can take is always to carry a spare set of
batteries. You never know when you'll need them!

Regards,

=====
Ray