[OM] Introduction and 135's question - pictures

Subject: [OM] Introduction and 135's question - pictures
From: "Erwin Voogt" <photovoogt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 06:57:04 -0000
Cc: kosta@xxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

Marcin Kost wrote:

Now I want to buy a 135 mm lens, but I am not sure which one I should
choose ( 2.8 or 3.5 the price in Poland is almost the same). Maybe you
can help me. Maybe you know any web site with technical data of these
lenses.

Welcome to the list!
As Henrik Dahl already wrote it depends on what you want to do with the 135. The 49 mm filter of the 3.5 is a big advantage since your other lenses have the same filter thread. So you only have to buy only one polarizer. Furthermore the 3.5 is very small, a real "stealth" lens. The 2.8 is not very large either. If the extra 0.5 stop is important for you, buy the 2.8, otherwise the 3.5 will be fine and easier to use. Gary's test suggests the 3.5 is not very good wide open. This is not my experience. Here is a picture taken with the 3.5 wide open on kodachrome 25. On the original slide you can count the hears of the squirrel:

http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/photovoogt/pix/yosemitebeest.html

It is also a very good portrait lens with excellent bokeh:

http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/photovoogt/nepal/braga.html

And then of course you can use it for landscapes:

http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/photovoogt/nepal/sarpangdhuri.html

A picture says more the a 1000 words...

Bye,

Erwin Voogt