RE: [OM] [OT] Quoting garbage, part 12, 864(b)

Subject: RE: [OM] [OT] Quoting garbage, part 12, 864(b)
From: "Kiker, James" <jkiker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 12:54:55 -0500
Malcolm Clay wrote

> Send plain-text for now AND upgrade for the future.

If I remember correctly (someone correct me if this is inaccurate), the
real issue is this:  the software that runs this list can't handle HTML
messages, and will insert all the HTML tags into the digest version of
the list.  These will be displayed no matter which mail reader a digest
reader uses.  I formerly subscribed to the digest, and I'm using the
latest version of Outlook.  I could always see all the HTML tags and
extra content.  It makes reading the digest tedious, and upgrading or
changing mail software wouldn't have solved the problem.

The point is, as a courtesy to all digest readers, no matter which mail
reader they are using, and to all readers using older mail readers which
don't handle HTML messages, everyone should post messages using plain
text.  This just a suggestion to make reading the digest easier and more
pleasant, since having a digest reader upgrade their mail software will
not solve the problem.  The only way to really solve the
garbage-displayed-in-digest problem would be to rewrite or change the
software that serves the list.