Re: [OM] 40/2 lens hood/flair

Subject: Re: [OM] 40/2 lens hood/flair
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 14:58:23 -0700
 >I have two Olympus hoods for my 85/f2. The only difference is that the
(newer?)
one lists the 40/f2 as well as the 85/2 and 100/2.8, the other one only the 85
and 100 (moulded list). So flare must come from somewhere else, maybe SC
instead
of MC?

mvh / regards
Roger Key

I could never understand how one hood could work effectively on three
lenses of such widely spaced focal lengths - 40 and 100?! It must look huge
on a 40mm. But mine claims all three lengths too and if Oly says it's
true...
AndrewF

I don't really think Olympus takes hoods seriously, except for the one on the 35-70/3.6 which adjusts the angle depending on the focal length. If the hood is perfect on the 40/2, that is, it blocks all light from outside the the diagonal angle(56 degees) of that lens then it allows the 24 degree 100mm to be flooded with light outside its field of view. The other thing that is half-a--ed in my opinion is the variability of attachment including screw in(the wide angles), clamp on(50/1.4), slide out(135/2.8) and bayonet(35-80/2.8). My 1964 Leica M3 had bayonet hoods that attached quickly and easily, the same way for all the lenses, and each one seemed to be carefully designed for the focal length and not to block the rangefinder windows. Maybe Mr. Maitani, realizing that effectively shading the lens with a hood is a crapshoot anyway, decided that it was better to shoot without one and pay attention to the light falling on the lens with every shot than to spend a lot of effort on something that even with the best design would not be effective in every instance anyway. I know I paid more attention when I shot without a hood than I do now. So you get afterthought hoods for those, like me, who insist on them.

Winsor
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California