Re: [OM] 40/2 lens hood/flair

Subject: Re: [OM] 40/2 lens hood/flair
From: Vaughan Bromfield <vaughan.bromfield@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 09:52:40 +1000
Tony

A lens hood doesn't stop flare. It merely shades the lens from off-axis
non-image-forming light. The "ideal" lens hood would exclude all light
except that from the subject: it'd be huge. All practical lens hoods are
much smaller, so they are compromised.

If the sun is in the frame, or very near the edge of the frame, no
practical lens hood will help. You are at the mercy of the lens's
quality of design, build and multi-coating, because flare control is
difficult and expensive. (Photographing into the sun is the "acid test"
that sort out the ordinary lenses from the Great, and where most third
party lenses -- especially zooms -- fail miserably. You *do* get what
you pay for, in tricky light situations.)

I always use a lens hood, if only for physical protection. I also shade
the lens with my left hand during exposure, checking the dof preview to
make sure it's not visible. Often the reduction in flare is dramatic and
can be easily seen in the viewfinder.

Vaughan