Re: [OM] Introduction and 135's question - pictures

Subject: Re: [OM] Introduction and 135's question - pictures
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 19:39:42 +0000
At 06:57 6/7/01, Erwin Voogt wrote (in part):
Hi,

Marcin Kost wrote:

Now I want to buy a 135 mm lens, but I am not sure which one I should
choose ( 2.8 or 3.5 the price in Poland is almost the same). Maybe you
can help me. Maybe you know any web site with technical data of these
lenses.

Welcome to the list!
As Henrik Dahl already wrote it depends on what you want to do with the 135. The 49 mm filter of the 3.5 is a big advantage since your other lenses have the same filter thread. So you only have to buy only one polarizer. Furthermore the 3.5 is very small, a real "stealth" lens. The 2.8 is not very large either. If the extra 0.5 stop is important for you, buy the 2.8, otherwise the 3.5 will be fine and easier to use. Gary's test suggests the 3.5 is not very good wide open. This is not my experience.

And now for the opposing viewpoint:
OK, not really an opposing one, just an alternate.
I have a multi-coated 135mm f/2.8 and wouldn't trade or sell it. Performs very well, even wide open. Yes, it's a little heavier and larger with a 55mm filter ring, but still smaller and lighter than other OEM lenses in this length/speed, and it can easily be hand held. However, since my Zuiko's are the faster lenses and most of them have a 55mm filter ring this is not a problem. Note that f/3.5 is actually 2/3 stop slower than f/2.8 (therefore 1/3 stop faster than f/4). The biggest advantage for me is the brighter viewfinder with easier focusing in lower light levels, and this is one of the lenses I periodically use wide open. I suggest you think about which you prefer most: the brighter viewfinder and speed, or the smaller size and weight with 49mm filter ring.

-- John