RE: [OM] reply

Subject: RE: [OM] reply
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 12:32:04 -0600
At 11:16 AM 6/8/2001 -0700, Kurt Weiske wrote:

>I asked the list-owner why the list was open to posters after the only
>spam I received one day was sent on behalf of the olympus list. I was told
>by the list owner that closing the list would add additional
>administrative overhead because many people post from accounts other than
>the one that they registered with the list.
>
>Personally, I think that limiting list posting to registered users only is
>good common sense when building a list community. It may be more work for
>the admin, but I feel that we share some level of responsibility not to
>add to the current SPAM level if we can help it.

*Ahem*

<SOAPBOX MODE>

Yes, well, that's all very well and good, but since the administrator (Shawn)
is the guy who unselfishly gives of his time (and his equipment and pipe --
none of this stuff is free!), it's certainly his prerogative to decide whether
or not he wants to perform the extra work, taking time out of his already-busy
schedule to do so.

"We" may share some responsibility, but *you* aren't the one who has to take on
the additional workload.  With the exception of Shawn, virtually everyone on
this List gets a free ride.  There's no reason Shawn should have to work harder
just so the rest of us can spare our optic nerves an annoying message or two.

In other words, feel free to use your 'delete' key with wild abandon.  And
don't presume upon other people's efforts.

</SOAPBOX MODE>

'Nuff said.

Garth