[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #2461

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #2461
From: Bill Brooks <nrky@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 18:11:30 -0500
Thank you Garth,
Well said!!!!

Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 12:32:04 -0600
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [OM] reply

At 11:16 AM 6/8/2001 -0700, Kurt Weiske wrote:

>I asked the list-owner why the list was open to posters after the only
>spam I received one day was sent on behalf of the olympus list. I was
told
>by the list owner that closing the list would add additional
>administrative overhead because many people post from accounts other
than
>the one that they registered with the list.
>
>Personally, I think that limiting list posting to registered users only
is
>good common sense when building a list community. It may be more work
for
>the admin, but I feel that we share some level of responsibility not to
>add to the current SPAM level if we can help it.

*Ahem*

<SOAPBOX MODE>

Yes, well, that's all very well and good, but since the administrator
(Shawn) is the guy who unselfishly gives of his time (and his equipment
and pipe -- none of this stuff is free!), it's certainly his prerogative
to decide whether or not he wants to perform the extra work, taking time
out of his already-busy schedule to do so.

"We" may share some responsibility, but *you* aren't the one who has to
take on the additional workload.  With the exception of Shawn, virtually
everyone on this List gets a free ride.  There's no reason Shawn should
have to work harder just so the rest of us can spare our optic nerves an
annoying message or two.

In other words, feel free to use your 'delete' key with wild abandon.
And don't presume upon other people's efforts.

</SOAPBOX MODE>

'Nuff said.

Garth

Bill  >; P
"Life unfolds on a great sheet called Time (film)*,
and once finished (developed)* is gone(here)* forever..."
*provided ya have a good archival system in place.