RE: [OM] reply

Subject: RE: [OM] reply
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 03:24:10 +0200 (CEST)
On Fri, 8 Jun 2001, Garth Wood wrote:

> At 11:16 AM 6/8/2001 -0700, Kurt Weiske wrote:
>
> >I asked the list-owner why the list was open to posters after the only
> >spam I received one day was sent on behalf of the olympus list. I was told
> >by the list owner that closing the list would add additional
> >administrative overhead because many people post from accounts other than
> >the one that they registered with the list.

<SNIP>

> *Ahem*
>
> <SOAPBOX MODE>
>
> Yes, well, that's all very well and good, but since the administrator
> (Shawn) is the guy who unselfishly gives of his time (and his equipment
> and pipe -- none of this stuff is free!), it's certainly his prerogative
> to decide whether or not he wants to perform the extra work, taking time
> out of his already-busy schedule to do so.
>
> "We" may share some responsibility, but *you* aren't the one who has to
> take on the additional workload.  With the exception of Shawn, virtually
> everyone on this List gets a free ride.  There's no reason Shawn should
> have to work harder just so the rest of us can spare our optic nerves an
> annoying message or two.

<SNIP>

Well, I undersand both the point of you and of Kurt: it's nice to have a
"positive list" for those who post from other accounts than those
s*bscribed from - but it's also extra overhead for the
listadmins.

A solution is to have the list closed for all but s*bscribers, and then
force "us difficult ones" to s*bscribe from all the addresses we use. Yes,
we will then receive duplicates of all correspondance, but that can be
dealt with: I have all my mail go through a (unix) machine where I can run
procmail. The following in my .procmailrc elliminates unwanted duplicates
before I have to bother downloading:

        MESG_ID=mesg_id.cache
        :0 Whc: $MESG_ID.lock
        | formail -D 196608 $MESG_ID
                :0 a:
                duplicates

That way: no extra work for the admins, no extra bandwidth required for me
to download my (duplicate-free) mail.

The cons are, that more copies of the mails are sent out from the list
machine....can't win every time....

(Btw: I use the same principle to /dev/null mail from known
spammers/spamsites/posters of HTML-mails etc., not to waste bandwidth on
downloading this).

Anyways, the list-admins do a great job - I would like to thank them for
their efforts and for providing access to this great source of
temptation - ehh - inspiration. Whichever way they choose to run the list,
I am happy to be allowed to be a s*bscriber, and I sure can live with
whatever policies they choose (including filtering the spam - if they
choose the list in the form it has).

List-admins, pat yourself on the shoulders from me ;)

--
Mange hilsner / Sincerely

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)