RE: [OM] What am I missing?

Subject: RE: [OM] What am I missing?
From: andrew fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 12:26:49 +1000
>Oddly enough, Scott and I have been having a short dialogue about exactly
>this problem.  With one exception, every piece of photo gear I've ever sold
>on eBay I've lost money on -- considerable amounts in total.

What seems to work well for me? I think I've done OK, no real 'wood ducks'
anxious to force huge sums of money on me but some good sales and I usually
make a fair profit.
a) Really good photographs - several but keep the size down for fast loading.
b) Detailed description - you CAN'T say too much - sound expert and reasonable.
c) Basic HTML - but not enough to slow down loading.
d) Admit ANY flaws and show them in the pix.
e) Unconditional money back guarantee - suggest they check your feedback.
f) 'Me' page link with feedback and a self-portrait (people like to deal
with a person).
g) USP - unique selling point (why should they buy this one?)
h) Humour - slip in a humorous comment if you can. Keep the 'tone' upbeat.
i) Fast communication - reply quickly to queries and be friendly and patient.

I once refunded a guy after he went over the camera with a loupe and found
a couple of minor flaws! I hadn't claimed it was mint, but...

>Now I just have to
>figure out the route that'll give me maximum bang for the buck...

This sounds absolutely hysterical in Australian English!
AndrewF