[OM] Going pro...

Subject: [OM] Going pro...
From: Bernd Möller <berndm@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 13:06:05 +0200
Hi,

My efforts to become a more or less decent concert photographer begin to bear
fruit. Yesterday I've got my first commercial assignment as a band
photographer. I'm going to shoot the punk-rock band "Hellroute 16" (I quote
their biography: "BASTARD SONS OF
LEMMY & BETTY PAGE" ha ha!). They need some pictures for their homepage,
posters and forthcoming records. I'll put some of them on my website.

Well, although not being a celebrity band on one of the most shiny record
labels, I was just flattered by their offer. The gig is at Operaen,
Christiania, Copenhagen next thursday. I'll pack the rock-hardened OM2, the
OM4Ti, a couple of large aperture lenses and no flash.

I also shot some german bands playing here in Aalborg yesterday. Light
conditions were the worst you could imagine (I shot at best 1/60 at 1.4-2.8
with 1600ASA, but also used some FP flash), after the band just pulled the
plugs on my carefully set up stage light.

For me this work (I shot some 15 punk concerts during winter and spring) is a
kind of documentary. There is so much happening in the very narrow Danish scene
right now. We are working on a multimedia CD with some material from some gigs
at a local "alternative" venue at the moment. Although it took some time, I
have managed to get the bands' confidence as a photographer, and this gives
some perspective for future projects. If I can make some €€€ (or $$$, as you
prefer) with this, the better. This thing has really bit me. Nothing compares
to the thrill you get when shooting a band under poor light conditions with the
blast of the PA in your ears and in front of a rioting audience. Every shot is
unique.

OM content: I find the OM 2 so nice and comfortable because of the direct feel.
The simplicity of it's functions leaves much time to concentrate on what
happens on-stage. However, the OM 4Ti makes exposures much more controllable
with the multispot metering. Soemtimes I shoot the first roll with the OM 4Ti,
measuring the often tricky lighting, and then shift to the OM 2 on manual mode
when things get hot and fast. The lenses I use mostly are the 50/1.4, the 85/2
and either the 28/2.8 or 24/2.8, depending on the size of the stage. Film is
mostly Fuji Superia X-tra 800 pushed to 1600 when necessary, but I have now
shifted to FujiPress 800, which should be better to push.

Best regards

Bernd

http://vendelbogade5.homepage.dk