Re: Collectible OM-3 condition-> was [OM] OM-1(n): mechanical orelectro

Subject: Re: Collectible OM-3 condition-> was [OM] OM-1(n): mechanical orelectronic s...
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 17:23:13 +0200 (CEST)
On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Hans-Joachim Busch wrote:

> Thanks, George!
> I'm happy to know, that there are (few?) list members, who are
> interested in photography.

Ok, that does sound like a troll - but what the heck, I will bite...

> There are so many threads here dealing with buying (what for?) and
> collecting OM stuff. I have no idea what to do with SEVEN (some days
> ago) 50mm.

Well, different things...first, redundancy is not always redundant. Often,
I keep different films in different bodies and maintain different sets
depending on the shooting I am going to do. For example, I do have two
OM2s/p - one with kodakchrome 25 and one with Ilford PanF 50
(b/w). Redundant? Hardly - I know of no 35mm, that lets me change film
mid-roll. My OM4 is equiped with Ilford Delta100 - and so on for
the other bodies I own. Again, I could probably do with one body if I
restricted myself to one type of film. For the same reason do I have
multiple samples of some lenses.

I take a serious amount of photos for someone who's doing something
non-photo-related for a living, I enjoy it - and I enjoy having nice tools
to work with. I have - on last count 6 OM-bodies. It satisfies my needs,
though it would be nice for some situations with one more. Is that
collecting? I dunno. I get to travel a lot for my work, and while that is
annoying it also allowed me to shoot a couple of houndred films last year
- this year seems to be even more photographic (among other things
because of a 3 week vacation in an exciting place).

That said, I am also as most "grown up boys" (Doris, you *are* just a
"grown up boy" ;) - 'cept that when other such boys go to auto-shows in
the weekend together to talk abot the next years out-of-reach cars, I
enjoy talking about my OM's and Zuikos. Boys like toys - my toys are just
a little smaller (and cheaper) than Corvettes and Jaguars ;)

Then, that is just my way with the Olympus-gear. I know people, who buy to
collect - and you know what? That's okay too. So what, if that OM3Ti
doesn't turn out to become rare in this lifetime? If they have the money
and they enjoy buying and caring for (maybe displaying?) the camera, then
that's great ;) If someone buys the cameras to use as a hammer, then
that's great too. I may choose to do differently myself, but it sure is
their own choise.

> And - Im so sorry - I don't believe, that anyone but you
> zuikoholics is impressed by an Olympus collection.

I'd be disappointed if the reason for people being impressed was my gear,
because it sure doesn't look minty and impressive - but I sure hope that
someone are impressed by the results, and I have a truckload of fun taking
and making the pictures.

As am I sure that collectors have a truckload of fun buying, caring for
and admireing their collections.

Ain't that what it's all about? Having fun?

--thomas

> Hans-Joachim

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)