Re: [OM] Morgan Sparks' leathers

Subject: Re: [OM] Morgan Sparks' leathers
From: "M. Sparks" <msparks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 12:56:22 -0400
> Are there any leathers available for other OM items adorned with the
> beloved "pleather"?

I'm working on a pattern for the BG2, at the request of a list member.
I'll post a pic on my site when it's done.  I'm doing the same for the
Pen F/FT and the RC rangefinder.  It's fun work. . . I wish I had more
time for it.

You can't believe some of the stuff I've been asked to do.  I should put
up a "totally wierd stuff" page.  I won't reveal any names because they
have (otherwise) fine reputations on this list.

To the question about durability, I'd say that glazed leather is pretty
hard.  The advantage over cowhide and other soft leathers is that the
scales are made of kerotin (sp?); which is very tough.  A deep scratch
can be touched up with a Sharpie pen of roughly the same color.  I've
seen some well-used Leicas on eB*y in 40-50 year old lizard that is
holding up very well.

I have a torture test in progress: little squares of different snakeskin
stuck to the steering wheel of my '88 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup.  It doesn't
have air conditioning and it's starting to get warm.  Stay tuned...

Leather should age along with the camera.  I don't like the slick glaze
on a newly skinned camera, and can't wait for it to "wear in" and aquire
some character, just like all leather goods.  One thing: If you have a
100% *mint* camera that you're holding as an investment (Leicaphile
behavior) then don't put leather on it.  Any change from the original
will adversely affect its value.  Ditto for anything that has historic
value. You put leather on to enjoy looking at, to feel in your hands,
and for the sheer hell of it.  Most important: You use it more. You take
more pictures.

Morgan Sparks