[OM] Re: collecting OM's

Subject: [OM] Re: collecting OM's
From: Dirk Wright <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 20:25:46 -0400
Dear Jim    8^)

<< You won't be 'complete' until you can say "I have an M-1, OM-1, OM-1MD,
 OM-1n, OM-2, OM-2n, OM-2S,OM-3, OM-3T, OM-4, OM-4T, OM-10, OM-20, OM-30, and
 OM-40, and I USUALLY use my...    " >>

Ah, but then you have to have the OM-4Ti because the American version is
missing an 'i', then the Champagne version, and black and chrome models of
the OM1s and 2s etc. Where does it end? Bankruptcy perhaps?

Dave Bellamy.
http://hometown.aol.com/sitesearch/

The problem with collectin OM's as I see it is that Olympus does not encourage it like Leitz does with thier Leica cameras. No special editions, no minutae differences between versions of the same camera, etc. I get the feeling that Olympus would rather just see us disappear. I don't think OM's are any more collectable than Canon FD's or Pentax Spotmatics. Perhaps if Olympus had issued special National Geographic limited editions of thier cameras, or the occasional really wild lens, like a 35/1.4 or something. Until I was apprised of the fact, I had always assumed that NG photogs used Nikon gear. I never saw Olympus leverage their professional exposure, but I wasn't in to OM's back in the 70's and 80's, so I could be wrong on that.
--
Be seeing you.

Dirk Wright