Re: [OM] OM-3 mechanical self timer

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-3 mechanical self timer
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 12:38:50 +0000
At 09:26 6/13/01, Dr. Oben Candemir wondered:

A recent OM-3 on eBay was sold with a mechanical self timer that I presume was a device that attached (screwed in) to the shutter release and set off the shutter after a period had elapsed. I would find one of these very useful. The auction stated the item was RARE. Are they?

Does anyone know where I can get for USE? (not collection ;) I have never seen Olympus' catalogue have one of these.

Cheers
Oben

I've never seen an Olympus device for this. All but the OM-3[ti] have a self-timer which obviates the need for one from Olympus. However, quite nice aftermarket ones can be had for under $20 US in any large camera store. They are mechanical timers, screw into the cable release socket on the shutter release button, and work very well. Are they relatively rare in the used market? Possibly, as they are an inexpensive accessory readily available new!

An important note about using one:
Ensure you set the plunger travel properly on it. The ones I've seen have an adjustment for this. If the plunger travels too far and too forcefully it can damage the internals of the shutter release. It should only travel far enough to reliably trip the shutter release; no farther.

-- John