[OM] Re: Olympus and National Geographic

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus and National Geographic
From: "Erwin Voogt" <photovoogt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 19:01:59 -0000
Cc: erwin.voogt@xxxxxx
Hi,

I wrote to Dirk Wright and by mistake not to the list:

Well, an OM2 is probably the only camera that was celebrated at the frontpage of NG: the self-portrait of Koko in 1978! The question about this picture is of course, was the 55/1.2 radio-active or not, and can the radio-activity be the explanation for Koko's humanlike intelligence? Anyway, even nowadays OM's are used sometimes by NG photographers. On a NG television broadcast about a polar expedition dating from 1999 I saw the photographer using an OM4T! Who knows, the famous polar bear pictures are taken with Oly-stuff!?

Dirk replied:

Well. why in the H*LL doesn't Olympus wake up and sell a special
National Geographic edition of the OM-4t???? This is so stupid of them
that I can't stand it!!

My question would be: why the h*ll doesn't Olympus wake up and sell a OM5A with similar technology as the FM3A? If Nikon can market such a camera, Oly should be able to do the same. I really would run to the shop to spend too much money on a brand new OM combining the OM3 and 4, but with a fast shutter and synchronisation on the 2nd curtain, and please dear Mr Olympus: a decent self-timer switch ala OM40/PC.

About the collecting discussion:
I recently studied a book about antique-trading... conclusion: old cameras have hardly any value. If you collect to become rich, look for a baseball signed by a famous 1930s baseball star. Such a baseball sells for more than a room loaded with 1930s Leitz cameras and lenses...

Bye,

Erwin Voogt
Utrecht, The Netherlands
http://members.nbci.com/_XMCM/photovoogt/index.html