Re: [OM] OM-3 mechanical self timer

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-3 mechanical self timer
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 23:46:04 -0700
On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Winsor Crosby wrote:

 Was the elimination of the self timer from the OM3/OM3Ti a
 philosophical one, i.e., the light might change in 10 seconds and
 ruin your picture therefore you should not do it? Or was it to make
 room for the mechanical shutter  shutter components?  Although the
 electronic one on the OM4t should not take up any room.

I would assume that the decision to leave out the self timer was based
purely on space limitiations.  A purely mechanical camera such as the 3/3Ti
needs a mechanical self timer to actually push a lever in order to trigger
the shutter (just like the OM-1).  Electronic cameras such as the 4Ti use
electromagnets to trigger the shutter and that allows them to get away with
using an electronic timer.  With all the extra electronics in the 3Ti, I
doubt there was any room left to add a mechanical timer.

 Idle curiosity:  Since the self-timer/indicator lamp is missing, what
 is the battery check indicator on the OM3 series?  Audible only?

There's both an audible indicator and an led on top to give the battery
check status.  The audible indicator can also be turned off.

 Does it use the same chip/LCD as the OM4 but with those portions
 disabled because they don't have the OM4 inputs or did Olympus do new
 chips and display for the 3?

I don't know if the chip is the same, but the display sure is.  In fact,
many of the parts look to be the same (eg. the front casting).  Anything
to do with the shutter would of course be different.
                                -mark

Mark,

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity. I also appreciate your thoughts on the need for a mechanical mechanism to trip the shutter. That makes perfect sense.

Winsor
--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California