Re: [OM] OM-3 mechanical self timer

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-3 mechanical self timer
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 04:28:25 -0700 (PDT)
Oben Candemir wrote:

My take on it is this. The OM-3 was sold while the 1N was still
available. The 1N certainly has a self timer as do all the other single
digit professional OM bodies. These were bought by pro and amateur
photographers. I think that the OM-3 was conceived as an uncompromising
professional camera; a real tool that wouldn't be taken out on day
trips where the photographer simply wanted to get themselves in a
snapshot. Other uses for a self timer do exist... softer shutter
release etc... but this could also be accomplished in other more
expensive ways ie. with a motor drive alone or in combination with an
m. remote cord.

That's my view... the truth on the other hand is out there...

Oben

In addition to that, what I don't understand is why mirror (and
aperture) lockup was not included in the OM-3. The camera offers no
remedy whatsoever for the problem of vibrations due to mechanical
movement at time of exposure. As you say, the OM-3 was probably meant
to be an uncompromising professional camera, so why not include the
professional features needed for successful use of macro and long tele
lenses?

Mirror lock-up on its own is not enough, as I believe Gary Resse has
found out in lens tests using the OM-1; you need also to pre-fire the
aperture for maximum stability. The OM-2S and OM-4 do this, using the
self-timer - not a very good solution under all circumstances but at
least it's better than nothing. I realize that the OM-3 is not
electronic, and that might make aperture pre-fire difficult, but the
omission of any kind of lock-up feature at all is a mystery to me.

Regards,

=====
Ray