[OM] Slides:projection & viewing, slightly OT

Subject: [OM] Slides:projection & viewing, slightly OT
From: "Sue Pearce" <bspearce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 13:25:42 -0500
I've deleted the digest where this subject was first mentioned, as well as my
initial response. Having my curiosity tweaked a bit, I decided to check out the
manufacturer's recommendations for projecting their slide films. I searched out
the web sites, and examined the data sheets. Boy, was I surprised. I checked
Kodak, Fuji, and Agfa, and in no instance was projection even mentioned in an
examination of two films each.

For Fuji, I checked out Velvia and ProviaF. In both cases, there was a section
for "evaluation" of transparencies. They recommend using a light box with a
5000K light source.

For Agfa, all pro films are on one sheet. They, as well, recommendation
"evaluation" on a 5000K lightbox.

I looked up Kodachrome  (all speeds on a common sheet), and EPN. No mention of
viewing of any kind was mentioned, although it was noted that a specific
setting for scanning ("film terms") should suffice for all Kodachromes. But, of
course, they consider Kodachrome an easy scan, not most people's experience.

Now, consider this. Virtually all slide projectors use 3200K tungsten lamps.
Are we universally viewing our chromes under the wrong conditions? Consider
also, most movie theatres use projectors that employ xenon bulbs, in the case
of older theatres with attended operation, carbon arc (oh, what a beautiful
light), that are at, near, or even above "daylight" temperature. Further, the
5000K lightbox is standard in the graphics arts industry for viewing, for
comparing chromes or prints to the printed result. Good pro labs evaluate
prints under 5000K light.

Have I opened a huge can of worms? Perhaps the precious poster (I forget whom)
is to some degree right: all chromes should scan with the same settings. Of
course, they don't, but why? SHOULDN'T they? What am I missing?

Or, does anyone care.

Bill Pearce

footnote: on the Agfa site, there is a press release that the sale of the film
division is off. Maybe now we can get the replacement for Ultra 50. Of course,
Ultra 50 and APX25 continue to be listed as available...