Re: [OM] Slides:projection & viewing, slightly OT

Subject: Re: [OM] Slides:projection & viewing, slightly OT
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 18:48:08 +0000
Yes, the bulb (at best a halogen) is in the vicinity of a tungsten lamp color temperature. However, our brains do a marvelous job of color balancing the images the eyes send it. Why doesn't it do this with prints? Because of how they are viewed out of context. Our brains are correcting whatever the lighting is for the surroundings, not the print which is but a relatively small object in the surroundings. In projection, the projector lamp is the primary light source and the image is large (more immersive).

The best type of projection screen for image detail is white matte. The tradeoff is it's not quite as reflective as other surfaces, nor can a viewer be quite as off center and still view it that well. Glass bead are extremely high in reflectivity but comparatively poor for detail level.

The best inexpensive lens I've found for Kodak's carousel type projectors is the Schneider-Krueznach Prolux f/2.8 zoom lens. Bright and very sharp with no coma or other visible aberrations. It is a flat field lens, so you must let glassless slides "pop" in their mounts.

-- John