RE: [OM] Macro vs Micro

Subject: RE: [OM] Macro vs Micro
From: "Olaf Greve" <o.greve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 13:53:24 +0200
Cc: <evoogt@xxxxxx>, <hans@xxxxxx>
Hi "Quantifying Dave" and others,

Good here's another attempt to send something using this account, let's see
if this time it comes through properly...

> The current TOPE has brought up a question in my head -- at what point
does
> normal become macro become micro?  Are there hard & fast rules for this?

There aren't any really hard rules for this. Funnily enough, Hans, Erwin and
I discussed this topic off-list a few weeks ago, and I then remembered
having read something about this in the "Manual for Macrophoto Group", this
is what it says there (page 11, "Basics of Close-ups, Macrophotography, and
Photomicrography"):
"Many photographers are not actually aware of the distinction between
close-up photography and macrophotography and often use the two terms
interchangeably. Generally speaking, however, close-up photography covers
the magnification ranges from 1/10X to life-size (1X), while
macrophotography covers magnification from life-size to approximately 30X.
Magnifications beyond this range generally fall into photomicrography or
photography with a microscope. There is quite a bit of overlapping, however,
as the true distinction is not based on magnification but method. More
explicitly, photomicrography refers to photography of microscopic subjects
involving both an objective and an eyepiece, while macrophotography involves
use of the "taking lens" alone without an eyepiece."

The description continues a bit more after this, but I think this answer is
pretty complete and concise, and it explains more or less which terminology
to use for which type of pictures. How this all relates to TOPE: I
(obviously) decided to allow both close-up photography and macrophotography,
but if someone want to send in something which ought to be classified as
photomicrography, I will also allow it.

Cheers!
Olafo

PS: For those who don't have this manual, I strongly recommend you guys to
get one, as it's a very informative and interesting to read (and it has
several very nice pictures too).