Re: [OM] Battery for OM-1(n)?

Subject: Re: [OM] Battery for OM-1(n)?
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 20:28:11 -0600
At 08:57 PM 6/18/2001 -0400, Dave Bellamy wrote:
>Dear Ohemoholics,
>
>What is the best battery for the OM-1(n)?

PX625.  1.35 volts.  Mercury chemistry.  Now obsoleted due to environmental
concerns.  Last known manufacturer was Varta of Germany, whose V625PX was an
exact physical, chemical and electrical replacement.  Varta ceased making these
puppies in December of 1999 in compliance with EU environmental directives,
although stock still persists (I can still get 'em in Edmonton, Alberta,
Canada, but probably for not much longer).

>And does it just need a little adaptor to hold it in place or is any circuit
>modification/servicing needed?

Three options:

1. Buy the MR-9 adapter made by C.R.I.S. Camera Services (www.criscam.com);
this allows you to use a "Silver 76" (also known as an SR44 or SR44W) silver
chemistry battery, and re-creates the form factor of the PX625.  Don't use the
LR44 or any of its variants -- alkaline chemistry doesn't have the same
characteristic discharge curve (so the reference voltage for the meter changes
too much, screwing up your exposure info).

2. Get the circuit modified during a routine CLA (Clean, Lubricate and Adjust);
John Hermanson, a denizen of this List and an Oly Tech since the Elder Days,
does these mods (website of his company, Camtech, at www.zuiko.com).  Cheap if
done as part of a CLA, probably not-so-cheap if done by itself.

3. Build your own adapter: info at www.rolleiclub.nl/PX625replacement.html.

NOTE:  Do NOT attempt to replace the PX625 with newer alkalines having the same
form factor (physical dimensions).  They DON'T work (reference voltage is too
high and they have the wrong characteristic discharge curve), and they MIGHT
fry the needle movement of the OM-1(n)'s meter.  Don't let any sales person try
to tell you otherwise -- they're wrong, wrong, wrong, and they might as well
get used to it.  ;-)

Good luck.

Garth