[OM] Re: Smog Filter

Subject: [OM] Re: Smog Filter
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 06:31:09 +0200
Dave

I am not sure how your new glasses "know" when to set the correct
angle to polarise the light to give you maximum saturation... ;-)

I have specs that have a slightly amber tint because they are
photochromic (photochromatic?) - they darken and lighten depending on
the brightness of the sunlight.  This colour gives me increased
colour saturation (of sky and green vegetation at least) and
contrast.  I asked for a similar treatment of my specs for flying (to
benefit from the contrast and to help with looking out for other
aircraft), but the slightly greyish shade does not have the same
effect.

I have always found that Raybans with a yellow or brown tint give me
better contrast than the grey or green ones.

Chris

After several years of doing without, about a month ago I got a pair of
prescription, polarizing sunglasses .  Not only did I not feel the need to
squint in the glare out there, but the world looked better (no not just
sharper).  Suddenly it dawned on me, I was seeing the world with more
saturation due to the polarizing in the sunglasses.  The clouds are whiter
and the sky bluer.  Again everything is more saturated. Green plant life,
flowers, etc.

So, perhaps use of a polarizer in moderation would help in photography in the
NW.  I know it's not a cure-all, but it sure couldn't hurt.