Re: [OM] RE: OM-2n Mirror lock

Subject: Re: [OM] RE: OM-2n Mirror lock
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 10:27:36 -0500
The "check/reset" position on the meter switch of the OM-2n will allow
you to (a) check the batteries (steady red led in back = good batteries,
blinking = weak), strictly an electrical function, and (b) reset
(release) the mirror if it is locked up (the shutter has to be fully
wound, showing the pattern), strictly a mechanical function, the same as
setting the camera to the mechanical "B" shutter speed.  Other than
this, it won't accomplish anything.

Sounds like a mechanical jam.  If you're feeling adventurous, you might
remove the bottom cover -- shouldn't be anything loose under there but
the batteries.  If you've got another OM (1,1n, 2, 2n), check them
against each other, the mechanisms are very similar.

Could be that the mirror tensioning arm slipped, releasing the mirror
without firing the shutter.  See that big, long lever across the back of
the camera?  Press the long end forward against the mirror tensioning
arm and see if you can tension the mirror spring.