[OM] (Fwd) OM4 Fault...HELP??

Subject: [OM] (Fwd) OM4 Fault...HELP??
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 20:12:55 +0000
Date:          Wed, 20 Jun 2001 18:58:33 +0100 (BST)
From:          Chris Charlton <c_charlton@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject:       OM4 Fault...HELP??
To:            owner-olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi There,
I have an OM4 with seemingly perfect electronics (all
functions/display/battery check/etc work fine),
however it has a fault that I would like to try and
rectify myself, as I have a spare OM4 for parts. I'll
describe what is wrong:-

The advance lever is locked and the mirror is in the
fully upright position (as if to expose the film).
When I "trip" part of the mechanism underneath (with
the bottom off) this mechanism is located just
underneath the main wind lever (the one that is
operated via a cam, and seems to prime a main spring)
it allows me to wind on the advance lever. This
"primes" a main spring, but does not seem to pull one
curtain across another (something I know Oly shutters
are supposed to do, I've owned a few) When the shutter
is fired, the mirror flips up (and does not come down,
in mechanical "60'th" or not) and the shutter curtain
"twitches" slighty but does not run across as if to
expose the film. When the mechanical part that can be
"tripped" is (described above) what seems to be a main
spring flips back again and the mirror drops down.

It seems to be that something in the curtain/shutter
mechanism isn't being primed during the lever advance,
so it does not fire and subsequently drop the mirror
down afterwards.

Could anyone give me any ideas on where to look for a
problem? I am mechanically skilled and have a number
of tools available to me, and as I mentioned, a
complete set of spare parts.
Also I'm after an aesthetic spare part, its a piece of
plastic that goes on the advance lever that basically
covers the ball mechanism and is sandwiched between
the screw that holds the lever in place.

Thanks

Chris