RE: [OM] Panoramas

Subject: RE: [OM] Panoramas
From: Peter Leyssens <leyssens@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 23:15:46 +0100
Hi,

I've been reading all these quite interesting posts on how to do things when
you have a $10K PC in front of you.  If you go the analog route, you'll
probably end up with a bit of difference in exposure between the frames, but I
think that's part of the charm.  Here's how I would proceed, using the old
fashioned way.  (Hey, aren't we all using manual focus cameras ?)

For pasting the analogues together, it's best to move each pair of photographs
into the position you like best by hand.  Then, you can just fix them with
regular transparent plastic tape : the tape will just come off afterwards
without leaving traces.  After fixing the pictures in the places you like, you
need to cut the overlapping parts off the bottom pictures.  Take a really sharp
knife for this and cut as straight down as possible.

When you start pasting the pictures onto a sheet of cardboard or something
similar, you'll have to watch the unavoidable empty spaces between the
pictures.  If you go for B&W, you can use this procedure : past the first
picture.  Then, draw a pencil line next to it where the next picture goes.
Make sure the pencil covers the edge of the photo that you just pasted to the
cardboard.  Additionally, cover the side edge of the photo you're about to
paste with pencil as well before pasting it.

Because the pencil has a silvery grey colour, the edges between the panorama
pictures will be far less noticable.

For colour panoramas, I don't really know how you can hide the gaps.  I guess a
simple colour approximation using soft-tipped pens would work OK, but there
should be better procedures.  If the panorama is a night panorama, the pencil
approach will be OK.

Peter.