Re: [OM] (Fwd) zuiko f1.8 50 mm

Subject: Re: [OM] (Fwd) zuiko f1.8 50 mm
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 16:04:22 -0700
Chris G. writes:

<< I have a 50 mm Zuiko f 1.8 lens with a serial number at about
933,000. I want to find out if it is multi-coated or not--is there any
way to tell
from the serial number?  Is there any other way to tell? Thanks in
advance! >>

Oh, there are lots of ways to tell.  I'd be shot if I brought them all
up, since this subject has been covered too much on this List and is
summarized in the FAQ, as well as the supporting documents on line.

You have a black snout 6 element in 5 group variation of the 50mm f/1.8
As an F.Zuiko, it is what we call "single-coated," although it very well
may have some multi-layer coating - just not current formulation
"multi-coating."  The whole multicoating subject is quite esoteric and
fodder for constant debate on most any mailing list.

For as little as $20, you can get the one that says "Made in Japan" on
the filter ring and have yourself a fully multicoated, high performance,
6 element in 4 group Leitz Summicron cousin.  Then you can have bragging
rights and needn't worry any more.  But I did 20 years of picture taking
through an F.Zuiko and ignorantly enjoyed myself.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV