Re: [OM] DeFanged + Rewind Crank - Another Problem to fix ?

Subject: Re: [OM] DeFanged + Rewind Crank - Another Problem to fix ?
From: Bill Stanke <bstanke@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 14:19:44 -0700
Dave:

I fixed this on my OM-1.  I believe that the OM-2SP should be the same.
First, remove the rewind knob from the camera. (Instructions from the OM
Repair FAQ:)

1. Remove the rewind knob:

        This was actually a little tricky, as I did not know how it was
        supposed to come off.  The book just said unscrew it.   It
        took a little time but I finally worked out that the whole knob
        just unscrews from the shaft, exactly what the book said....
        You need some sort of implement to stop the shaft turning while
        you unscrew it.  Don't use pliers as the rewind forks bend
        very easily.  I ended up cutting a chop stick to fit as close
        as possible to the shaft, and avoided placing much pressure on
        the forks.  There is a small screw in the center of the rewind
        knob.  John H mentioned that this should not be touched.

2.  Once you the rewind knob off, look at the underside of the knob.
You will need to remove a spacer/washer.  The rewind lever is held in
place by a small length of wire.  You should be able to cut a length
from an ordinary #1 paper clip (honest!) and thread it through the
rewind lever.  Use a small screwdriver to carefully push the wire into
the groove in the body of the rewind knob.  The rewind lever pivots on
wire, there isn't really a hinge.

3. Replace the spacer/washer, and re-assemble the rewind knob on the
shaft.

4.  Again, this was the repair for an OM-1.  I assume that the OM-2SP
has a similar arrangement. Your mileage may vary, etc.

Good luck!

Bill Stanke