Re: [OM] Panoramas

Subject: Re: [OM] Panoramas
From: "Dr. Oben Candemir" <dunya.nospam@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 10:57:07 +1000
At 11:20 PM Thursday 21/06/2001, you wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jun 2001 14:45:20 +0100, Steve wrote:

>i honestly don't think that it can be done. The problem is, is that although
>you may mount the camera on a panning tripod, use the same exposure etc, the
>light entering the camera will be at a different angle each time you pan and
>will show up mostly in the exposure of the sky.

What struck me as difficult and the reason for my initial post was that I think the *Panning* approach will give distortions in the final stitched result. The frames at the ends will be further away from the camera than the centre ones but maybe this is not noticeable; the truth is I haven't tried.

The technique I was thinking of was finding a position across from a panorama you wished to take and then shooting a frame. Moving sideways by a calculated amount according to field of view of the lens. Taking another frame. And repeating this till the desired number of frames was taken. The logic is that all the frames of the landscape would be perpendicular to the film and be easier to match from frame to frame. Maybe its not necessary? This assumes that you have several positions from which you can take the pictures and they would need to be equidistant from the subject. Maybe too much trouble for what its worth? Maybe practically impossible?

I think I'll try the panning approach as it seems the easier technique. Any advice on the other method I have thought of would be appreciated including any practical techniques anyone may have.

Thanks
Oben