Re: [OM] (Fwd) OM4 Fault...HELP??

Subject: Re: [OM] (Fwd) OM4 Fault...HELP??
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 00:30:01 +0000
At 20:12 6/20/01, Chris Charlton wrote:
Hi There,
I have an OM4 with seemingly perfect electronics (all
functions/display/battery check/etc work fine),
however it has a fault that I would like to try and
rectify myself, as I have a spare OM4 for parts. I'll
describe what is wrong:-

The advance lever is locked and the mirror is in the
fully upright position (as if to expose the film).

[further details snipped out]

Chris,
This sounds like very major surgery time to me. If you've not worked on cameras before, it's like working on a watch and then some. I pulled the top cap off of my Contax IIIa RF. After I got that far, I realized I was already going beyond what I could (or should) do with basic jewelers tools. I put the top body cap back on, and sent it to one of the several guys who overhauls old Zeiss Ikon's much the same way John H. and Clint work on the OM's. Felt lucky I didn't damage anything in the process. There were a few hair-raising moments during reassembly.

I recommend sending it to Clint or John H. and biting the bullet for an overhaul. I've used John H. for two bodies; when they come back they function as new. Be forewarned; cost of overhaul goes up considerably if you send a bag of parts instead of a _properly_ assembled camera body (John H. makes this pretty clear on his web site) and it's completely justifiable.

-- John