RE: [OM] OM-1 winding problem

Subject: RE: [OM] OM-1 winding problem
From: "Kiker, James" <jkiker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 08:49:18 -0500

and clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> See if you can wind the camera by turning the sprocket with your thumb
> -- if so, and the shutter otherwise operates normally, that's a very
> positive sign.  Your problem is likely in the wind clutch itself,
which
> can be replaced or cleaned.

Thanks to both of you for the information.  After John wrote back with
this info, I decided to remove the top cover to see if I could tell if
it was a hardened grease problem.  I unscrewed the rewind knob, and was
about to take the wind lever off.  It was tight, so I tapped it a few
times with the plastic handle of a screwdriver, hoping to loosen up the
screw.  It turns out that tapping it dislodged whatever was preventing
the ratcheting teeth from engaging, and it works very smoothly now.  I
tried it a couple dozen times, and it worked perfectly every time.  So I
put it back together.  One question for future reference:  Does the ASA
dial need to be removed in order to remove the top cover?  I couldn't
see an obvious way to remove it, and didn't end up needing to, but I'm
curious.  Does it stay attached to  the top cover when the cover is
removed?

Thanks,
James Kiker